Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Catching Up! (Day Three Reflection)

Today, we setup TweetDeck and I learned about a new tool called Diigo. Both of these new tools are new and challenging for me. I am new to twitter and have not yet gotten the hang of its uses. I think that this will be a great tool for gaining quick tidbits about what’s happening in the world. I’m a little concerned that it will be difficult to maintain. Diigo, on the other hand, seems like the social bookmarking site I’ve been waiting for. It is way more user friendly then delicious. I was surprised that I hadn’t heard about this tool until now. Revealing the public sticky notes showed me how many people were already taking advantage of Diigo.
In my district, students complete a fourth grade project where they choose a topic of their choice and research. Close to the end of the year, there is a day set aside for these students to present to a panel of teachers. Learning more about creative commons and the variety of research skills that were discussed in today’s class opens a new world for me. Right now, teachers seem bogged down and have the “hurry up and get it over with” mentality. While this is a disappointing point of view, I wasn’t quite sure how to turn the tables. These tools offer a solution. I now envision the fourth grade projects with excitement. I can picture students expanding their knowledge of more than just the subject they have chosen. This is what the project should be about! Learning and using technology to create an outcome. I think that these tools should be shared with all teachers. We truly have the potential to bring the world to our students.

1 comment:

  1. PLEASE let me know how those projects turn out this year. I'd LOVE to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete