Thursday, July 7, 2011

Student Blogs

I feel students need to be taught how to blog responsibly. Once they know the parameters that are expected of them, I believe they will put forth more effort if they see they have the potential of a larger audience. They also need to realize that there are consequences if they should choose to blog something that is not appropriate. I don't think it is something that should be totally blocked for fear of what "might"happen.

Working with the students in the library, I do not see students on a daily basis. Although I have not done it, I am aware of some librarians who have set up blogs that allow students to use it as a book discussion areas. I think this is a great idea as I have found that students love to share what they are reading. If possible this would be a great way to possibly set up conversations with students in other states who would also be interested in discussion the literature.

My concerns with blogging are the standard concerns of appropriate behavior. As I mentioned earlier, however, students need to be held accountable for their behavior. Depending on the success of the blog, it could become overwhelming trying to keep on top of reading all of the posts to make sure there is nothing inappropriate.

1 comment:

  1. That's right. It COULD be overwhelming. The point is to make THEM work harder, not you, so choose a blog that will make them work harder and you less - or at least very efficiently.

    ReplyDelete