Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What will your legacy be?

Of course I’m going to Jing it up this year, but what really stuck with me today was Alan November’s idea of a legacy. The other 9th grade English teacher who also happens to be a friend of mine has a sign hanging in her room asking her students what will their legacy be. I never really gave it much thought. Their legacy is not to make me mad today. (I kid!) As I plan for this coming school year, I would like to create learning objectives that really create a 9th grade legacy. I want what they create in my class to really last and not just be taken down off the walls in June to make room for next year’s work. I love the idea of a digital textbook produced by students. Don’t just write the paragraph for me; put it out there to share with everyone. I think it is important for students to start crafting their global voices early. I know that we should be practicing what we preach, but I don’t know how ready I am to starting working on my own global voice. I might not have this hesitation to just put it out there if I came through an educational environment that taught me how to have one. This is clearly not the fault of any of my teachers. I didn’t know about the internet until 6th grade. However, we just shouldn’t be waiting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment