Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday's thoughts

There was a lot of information today to absorb. A number of years ago we saw the same video about the changing technological world and it scared me as much as it scared Jim. Now I look at it with a different perspective. I see all these technologies simply as tools to do what we've always done and I just have to find the ones that work for what I want to accomplish as a teacher. In the beginning I fell into the trap of feeling like I had to use all these technologies but I was using them for the sake of using them. Now I try to find the ones that help me teach. Google Docs has been the technology for me that has had the biggest impact. It has made lab reports for the students to be much more enjoyable and efficient which means they can concentrate more on the chemistry instead of how are they going to write the report. I just have to keep reminding myself during this class that I don't have to use everything I just have to use the things that will work in my class to accomplish our goals.

-Tom

1 comment:

  1. Your point about using tools just to be using them is a good one, and I REALLY hope that we ALL learn that lesson. If it doesn't help the students to learn at a higher level, then don't use that tool.

    ReplyDelete